[jdom-interest] New realease, Text class... Arghh

Alex Rosen arosen at silverstream.com
Wed Jan 9 10:54:20 PST 2002

True, the Text changes are not backwards compatible. When we discussed this
at the time, we felt that it was a worthwhile tradeoff - you only get one
chance (ie 1.0) to do things right, and this *is* a beta. There were a lot
of very positive sentiment at the time, and much less negative sentiment.
The meat of the discussion is here, but there's a lot more before and after
this too.

http://www.servlets.com/archive/servlet/BrowseList?listName=jdom-interest&by
=subject&from=2627

I'm certainly sympathetic to your complaints. But, we can't please both the
people that want it stable, and the people that want it right. And we can't
keep changing our minds back and forth...

Your other points I pretty much all agree with. They are all optimizations
however - the Text vs. String argument is the only one that we *must*
resolve before 1.0.

When we first talked about Text, we said that we'd start with something that
worked, and then do some performance analysis to figure out the best
implementation. I agree that using StringBuffer in SAXBuilder, and String in
Text, is likely to be the best way to go. Jason/Brett, do you have Phil's
patch?

I agree that it would be a cleaner (and less error-prone) implementation to
have the main Element backing lists be the "gatekeepers", to avoid duplicate
code, and so getContent() and getAttributes() don't create any objects.
(This "gatekeeping" involves checking that e.g. you don't add an Attribute
or an Integer to the getContents() list, and that the item's parent is set
and unset when the item is added or removed.) Then only getChildren() needs
to do any "filtering" (i.e. only letting the Elements show through). It's
still not 100% clean, however - does the getChildren() list still want to
prevent Comments from being added? Does getChildren(String) want to check
the new Element's tag name? So the filtering list probably wants to do a
little bit of gatekeeping too.

I'm not sure I get your third point about Filter iterators. How will they
help?

Alex Rosen
SilverStream Software