[jdom-interest] JDOM and garbage collection

Bradley S. Huffman hip at a.cs.okstate.edu
Tue Jan 29 12:05:28 PST 2002

Here's might be something for the TODO list.

I noticed that with Element/AttrbuteList, Element/ContentList,
Document/ContentList there are cyclic references, i.e. Element
has a reference to a ContentList which in turn has a reference to
the Element.  If there are no other references to the Element or the
ContentList, is the Java GC mechanism smart enough to figure out
they are not accessible or does it assume since there's a reference no
GC? Theoretically I guess if it's not smart enough we could run out of
memory.

Any experts on GC?

Brad