[jdom-interest] performance on tonights CVS

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Sat Mar 16 08:52:59 PST 2002

> My best brainstorm is to move JDOMFactory and
> DefaultJDOMFactory into org.jdom.  It's arguably appropriate,
> since they can build document components anytime, not only
> during the input phase.  We add a NonVerifyingJDOMFactory
> which uses package-protected constructors to build objects
> without verification.  Parsers use that factory by default.
> It builds the same classes as always, but skips the Verifier
> calls.  Other people who know what they're doing can use the
> factory also, but they'll be the experts knowing what they're doing.

I sort of like this idea.  The object will still verify when the contents
are changed so it acts like we say it is supposed to act.  If my performance
is suffering when I am doing a lot of editing of content, I can subclass to
skip it, though that is unfortunate because it my most common case rather
than the other way around.  So, it seems like a partial solution.  In our
earlier testing character validation was good for 10-20% of the time.