[jdom-interest] Element, ContextList, AttributeList and performance

David D. Lucas ddlucas at lse.com
Wed May 1 06:02:46 PDT 2002

I am profiling some large XML usage by JDOM and noticed that for every
Element there is a ContextList and AttributeList created each time.
This uses a lot of objects.

My question is can this be a lazy creation?  My environment does not use
  attributes and we are more breadth than depth.  Would it be something
people are interested in?  Maybe a parameter for optimization of
horizontal versus vertical processing?

I think we can safely move AttributeList to a deferred creation.
But ContextLists?  Should we also configure how many objects should be
in the initial capacity via property?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

| David Lucas                        mailto:ddlucas at lse.com  |
| Lucas Software Engineering, Inc.   (740) 964-6248 Voice    |
| Unix,Java,C++,CORBA,XML,EJB        (614) 668-4020 Mobile   |
| Middleware,Frameworks              (888) 866-4728 Fax/Msg  |
| GPS Location:  40.0150 deg Lat,  -82.6378 deg Long         |
| IMHC: "Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life."  |
| IMHC: "I know where I am; I know where I'm going."    <><  |

Notes: PGP Key Block=http://www.lse.com/~ddlucas/pgpblock.txt
IMHO="in my humble opinion" IMHC="in my humble conviction"
All trademarks above are those of their respective owners.