[jdom-interest] re: JDOM & XML-Schema

Dan Douglas dandoug at skibums.org
Thu May 2 06:11:41 PDT 2002

Emi,

I saw your post on the jdom-interest mail list....I didn't respond there
because it's not really a JDOM question that you're asking.  JDOM doesn't
output XML Schema.  JDOM doesn't even parse.  You can use an XML Schema with
a parser like Xerces to build a JDOM object model, but you have to supply
the schema.

I suppose it's possible to generate a XML Schema from a document instance,
but it'd only be good as a starting point.  A document instance can't
demonstrate every feature that a document valid for a given schema would
have.  For example, if your document looked like this

<a>
  <b/>
  <b/>
  <b/>
<a/>

Should the schema define a document with an <a> element followed by exactly
3 <b> elements or a sequence of any number of <b> elements.  What if you
wanted to allow <c>'s mixed in with the <b>'s?