[jdom-interest] Internal DTD subset verification

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue May 7 06:12:06 PDT 2002

At 5:27 AM -0700 5/7/02, Philip Nelson wrote:
>  It would
>mean *gasp* that there exists the possibilty of a jdom document living in
>memory that could not be produced as an xml document.

This possibility is a major flaw in XInclude and a few other
technologies now. It is causing implementors and users problems
*today*. If we let it into JDOM, it will cause JDOM problems too. We
really, really do not want to allow this.

A JDOM Document object represents an XML document. The only
definition of an XML document is syntactic, a sequence of characters
that adheres to certain constraints. If there is not a 1-1 mapping
from Document objects onto well-formed character sequences, then the
Document class does not properly model an XML document. It's
modelling a superset of XML documents. And sooner or later (probably
sooner) that's going to cause problems.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |