[jdom-interest] Internal DTD subset verification

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue May 7 08:46:36 PDT 2002

At 11:04 AM -0400 5/7/02, Alex Rosen wrote:

>The line with most APIs is, protect users from
>themselves when it's cheap but not when it's expensive, because otherwise
>they'll use a different API. That's the line I would draw.

We are not merely protecting the developers from themselves. We are
protecting  all of the developers' clients and customers and users
from that developer by not allowing that developer to make certain
mistakes. We are helping to keep the XML environment pure by
enforcing the deliberately and rightfully draconian rules of XML.

It's sort of like car companies using gas tanks that leaded nozzles
won't fit into, catalytic converters, and other emission control
systems. These do raise the price of cars and perhaps reduce
performance, but car companies include them because it keeps the air
cleaner and because the government requires them to.

Our environment is XML and our government is the W3C. We are
obligated to provide the pollution control systems the XML spec
mandates. Doing this results in a cleaner environment for everyone.
Will some users find ways around our controls? Yes, just as some car
buyers remove their catalytic converters. But most won't, and thus
there'll be fewer malformed XML documents floating around in the
world, and that's a good thing for everyone.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |