[jdom-interest] Internal DTD subset verification

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Thu May 9 09:09:23 PDT 2002

At 8:03 AM -0700 5/9/02, Philip Nelson wrote:

>In building systems where you are trying to maximize the number of
>simultaneous
>users, this is not completely true, or false.  A slow IO time will mean that
>more documents will be loaded in memory at any point in time.
>Depending on how
>much memory you have and how many users you need to support, this is a bad
>thing but there are ways to deal with it, add memory/swap space etc..  On the
>other hand, high IO time means that the cpu is free to do other more important
>things like service additional requests, increasing the number of simultaneous
>users.  A good thing.  Since cpu is much more difficult to manage than memory,
>I prefer to know that IO was not considered in the tests.  Also, in my
>experience, with all recent hardware, disk access is amazingly fast.  Just
>compare time copying a file to parsing the same file.

Let's make sure we're not comparing apples to oranges here. My claim
is that any real world application that uses JDOM is going to spend
so much time doing I/O, that document building time is insignificant.
If you're trying to measure document build time exclusively, then you
rightfully will try to eliminate the cost of I/O. However, the
resulting benchmark really won't prove that we gain anything
significant by optimizing document build time. If we reduce document
build time to zero, I/O will still cost. We can't easily do anything
about that. My claim is that the cost of I/O+SAX parsing is such that
compromising correctness is not an acceptable trade-off for reducing
JDOM tree construction time.

Also, please keep in mind, that although file access is an important
and real-world use-case so is network access, and that's going to be
even slower, often on the order of seconds. For instance, some of
Dennis Sosnoski's tests are SOAP documents. In the real world these
would almost certainly be served over a network connection. Even on
the fastest LANs, the sheer overhead of setting up a single TCP/IP
connection is likely to outweigh all other factors involved in
document building.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |