[jdom-interest] JDOM Quick Reference, Appendix B of Processing XMl with Java, has been posted

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed May 15 06:55:32 PDT 2002

Hello once again. I'm pleased to announce that I've posted the last
appendix of Processing XML with Java, JDOM Quick Reference, in the
usual location on Cafe con Leche:

http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava/chapters/apb.html

As usual, I'd much appreciate hearing any comments, criticisms, or
corrections you have for this chapter. I'm particularly interested in
three issues:

1. Have I accidentally included any deprecated methods? I tried to
get them all out, but I may have missed one or two.

2. Have I forgotten any important exceptions any of the methods might
throw? The checked exceptions should all be there, but a lot of them
are runtime exceptions and I could have missed these. In a few cases,
it's a judgement call. For instance, should the JDOMFactory interface
methods declare the same exceptions as the  DefaultJDOMFactory class
does. (In this case, I deliberately decided not to include them
because that's an implementation detail.) This one's particularly
important because I plan to go through the Javadoc for the JDOM
classes and patch up the @throws clause based on what I discovered
here, so this can have an impact beyond just this book.

3. Should this appendix be combined with Apeendix A, JAXP Quick
Reference? My original plan separated SAX, DOM, JDOM, TrAX, and JAXP
factories into separate appendixes which I suppose is also still an
option) but I eventually decided to pull the JAXP APIs into one
chapter. That leaves JDOM hanging a bit since it's not a component of
JAXP. I could just make one bigger appendix that covered them all,
which would have the benefit of more parallel structure in the
heading levels, and putting the JDOM QuickRef onto a single page for
the online version.

Please take a look and let me know what you think. I'm almost done
and time is getting short, so if they're any other thoughts on any
parts of the book you've been procrastinating about, now is the time
to send them.  Your comments have been extremely helpful up till now,
and are always much appreciated. Thanks!

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |