[jdom-interest] SAXBuilder.setExpandEntities

Ernst de Haan ernsth at nl.euro.net
Thu May 16 06:44:07 PDT 2002

> Furthermore, I'm willing to state that unless you're writing an
> editor (and maybe not even then) you don't need this. XML
> applications that rely on such low-levels of syntax detail are
> broken. The one that comes to mind is WML. In these cases the
> application needs to be fixed, not the API.

Our application provides another application with an XML document. The
applications talk to eachother over HTTP. The remote application stores the
file and returns it at a later time.

The remote application first parses the XML document using JDOM and stores it
in the file system. At a later stage, when it is requested for this file
again, it gets the file from the file system, passes it through JDOM again
and sends it over HTTP to our application.

Problem is that when the document is stored, the character entities have been
interpreted by JDOM and are replaced with '?' question marks in the file. So
we never get back what we originally sent. All character entities are
replaced by question marks. Pehaps special characters should be replaced by
character entities by the XMLOutputter then?

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ