[jdom-interest] Character Conversion Errors using JDK 1.4

Andreas Wolf aw at orange-interactive.de
Fri May 17 07:02:25 PDT 2002

Hi JDOM-Gurus,

we have a webapp that's heavily using XML for various tasks. The development
system was using JDK 1.2.2, production systems are running JDK 1.3.1.

After upgrading the development system's JDK to 1.4 we had very stange
things happening.

Documents containing latin1 characters (document encoding: iso-8859-1) that
were build from XML-files using SAXBuilder had character conversion errors.
Special German characters like ä,ö,ü,ß were displayed as '?' when using
something like Element.getText().

If we were outputting the Document with the XMLOutputter, everything get's
written correctly. But if a class takes an Element's text (with getText())
to write it into an SQL database we have the question marks comming up.

When downgrading again to JDK 1.2.2 or JDK 1.3 all applications work again
as expected.

Anybody any clues????

Best regards,

Andreas Wolf