[jdom-interest] java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser

Simon.Hall at transwareplc.com Simon.Hall at transwareplc.com
Tue May 28 08:26:03 PDT 2002

Hello,

I'm using the following code to validate an xml document:

      SAXBuilder builder = new SAXBuilder
("org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser");
      //specify that xerces is a validating parser
      builder.setValidation(true);
      //assign an error handler to xerces to display well-formedness errors
      builder.setErrorHandler(new SAXErrorHandler());
      builder.setFeature
            ("http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/schema", true);
      //specify that the XML file being parsed is validated against
      //SCORM metadata schema
      builder.setProperty

("http://apache.org/xml/properties/schema/external-schemaLocation",
                  ErudigmConstants.IMSMD_ROOT_V1_P2_P1_NS + " " +
TOMCAT_ROOT
                  + ErudigmConstants.SCORM_SCHEMA_PATH
                  + ErudigmConstants.IMSMD_ROOT_V1_P2_P1_XSD);
      Document doc = builder.build(xmlString);

When I execute this I get the following error:

                org.jdom.JDOMException: Error in building: SAX2 driver
class org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser not found:
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
      at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:373)
      at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:772)

I'm using the xerces 2 jars in the lib/ext directory and I'm sure their in
the classapath.

Is there another reason why this exception would be thrown, or is it
strictly a classpath issue?

I guess I should also ask if JDOM is compatible with xerces 2.0.1?

Thanks,

 [ s i m o n   h a l l ]
    d e v e l o p e r