[jdom-interest] Reusable JDOM Elements

Hallvard Trætteberg hal at idi.ntnu.no
Tue Nov 12 01:13:21 PST 2002

Per,

> interesting. It looks like XMLOuputter is purley
> recursive. If you subclass the elements that will
> be the parent to the cached sub-trees, I guess you
> could 'divert' XMLOutputter down the cached sub-tree
> by overriding the getContent() method.

Personally, I would subclass XMLOutputter and let it do the mapping, if
possible. That may make it easier to clean up afterwards. But as your
example shows, it works!

An interesting generalization is to let Diverter constructor take a context
node and an XPath, and let getContent apply the xpath to the context node.
The context node could for instance be a large document of relevant cached
sub-trees and the xpath would select the appropriate one. With a
VariableContext with interesting bindings, e.g. $source bound to the
Diverter itself, you could select a sub-tree depending on attributes of the
Diverter, something like new XPath(sub-tree[@name=$div/@tree-name]). Just
make sure the XPath doesn't call getContent recursively!