[jdom-interest] Memory problem

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Oct 17 09:51:03 PDT 2002

At 6:34 PM +0200 10/17/02, Marcus Andersson wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a problem regarding memory when using JDOM. Before I say
anything else I just want to say I have seen that there are some
issues in the archive regarding my problem.

Anyway, the problem is that a 1Mb big XML file becomes about 140Mb in
memory when I have used SAXBuilder to build the JDOM document. I have
seen in previous mails that there may be a factor 10 when building to
a JDOM document. Now it is a factor 140. That cannot be correct. I
must have done something wrong. It did cause me OutOfMemoryError in
the beginning but I found -Xmx128m flag in some previous mail on this
topic.

How do you measure the memory used by the document?