[jdom-interest] Automatic Character Escaping

Gordon Tyler gordon.tyler at sitraka.com
Tue Apr 1 10:11:47 PST 2003

Jay Balunas wrote:
> I need to get " " into the text of some of my elements (for HTML
> decimal alignment and such) and the various outputters are automatically
> changing it to be " ". I have a .dtd defined that contains the
> entity listing for the " ", but it does not seem to be used.  I have

The outputters have to escape it because the text elements in a JDOM
document are just text and thus any markup characters must be escaped to
produce well-formed XML.

> also tried to directly add an EntityRef object but that does not seem to be
> working.

The EntityRef is the correct way to do it. How did you try to use
EntityRef and what failed?

> I just need a way for JDOM to not do the automatic escaping for this
> character sequence.

Not possible. The EntityRef is the only way to insert an entity into a
JDOM object.

Ciao,
Gordon

--