[jdom-interest] Toward beta 9

Gordon Tyler gordon.tyler at sitraka.com
Wed Apr 9 09:47:51 PDT 2003

Bradley S. Huffman wrote:
> Vadim.Strizhevsky at morganstanley.com writes:
>
>>I also don't believe that libraries should protect people from themselves
>>at the expense of efficiency.
>
> Aaaa but what is "efficiency"? Saving a few CPU cycles or the saving the
> time you'll most likely spend on the weekend fixing a "oops, I forgot
> to about that" :-)

I know you're kinda joking, but fixing a "oops, I forgot about that" is
a once off cost, whereas an inefficiency in the library is a permanent,
ever-present slowdown in the operation of the application. And it's
amazing how the slightest slowdown can be blown up to huge proportions
by a highly loaded system.

Ciao,
Gordon

--