[jdom-interest] Toward beta 9

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Wed Apr 9 11:59:43 PDT 2003

> It's not a rule of XML. It's a rule of good object oriented design.
> If you're designing a classes that represents a time of day, you
> don't let the hours field be set to 25.  We're modelling XML so we
> need to faithfully model XML.

Why must we be more faithful than the DOM?

I firmly believe when the price of checking is high, it sometimes makes
sense not to check.  This is why when you burn CDs it gives you the
option "burn" or "burn and test".  It seems you, Rusty, would advocate
you should always test because you need to catch bugs early.  But
considering how long testing takes, some would prefer to trust the CD
burner will do its job right.  Just like here some are willing to trust
the parser will do its job right, or that their program will do its job
right.