[jdom-interest] Updating the FAQ

Bradley S. Huffman hip at a.cs.okstate.edu
Thu Apr 10 11:27:42 PDT 2003

Just a minor thing that I would like to see about the same time beta 9 is
released. I think the FAQs have grown to where they need a TOC at
the top of the page, which I guess is another way of saying I volunteer to do
the work.  This would also be a good time for any additions, removals, or
adjustments.  So here is a list of what's currently in the FAQ, please e-mail
me with any suggestions and I'll try to have a revised FAQ in a week or so.

Brad

    * What is JDOM?
    * What is JDOM not?
    * Is JDOM an acronym?
    * What is the JDOM license?
    * Where can I get JDOM?
    * What is the JDOM Philosophy?
    * Why is the JDOM API defined in terms of concrete classes rather
      than interfaces?
    * How does JDOM work with DOM and SAX?
    * Was JDOM designed for Java 2?
    * I tried to use JDOM and get an error like this:
      java.lang.NoSuchMethodError or java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
      org/xml/sax/SAXNotRecognizedException
    * What do you mean "Standard extension directory"?
    * How do I avoid the DOM Level 1 problem in Visual Age for Java?
    * How do I avoid the DOM Level 1 problem in WebSphere?
    * Does JDOM work with JDK 1.1?
    * Are there any performance numbers?
    * How does JDOM integrate with XSLT?
    * Is there XPath support in JDOM?
    * What features of XML are not fully handled by JDOM?
    * Is JDOM thread safe?
    * Why does equals() only do a == check?
    * Why is equals() declared final?
    * How do I construct a Document from a String?
    * How do I remove an Element or other content?
    * How do I move an Element from one place to another?
    * How do I copy an Element from one place to another?
    * Can an element or attribute name contain a colon?
    * Why do I need to pass in a Namespace to getChild(), when the child
      element I'm looking for has no namespace declaration?
    * If I leave out the namespace from the second call to getChild(),
      it returns null. Why?
    * Why do all new lines appear as \n, even on Windows?
    * Why does setText(" ") not do what I want?
    * When using an IDE debugger why do I see a strange
      ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException?
    * How do I add a PI or Comment before the root element?
    * How do I avoid getting an OutOfMemoryError?
    * Why does my file encoding on output not match the encoding on
      input?
    * Why does passing a document through a socket sometimes hang the
      parser?
    * How do I keep the DTD from loading? Even when I turn off
      validation the parser tries to load the DTD file.
    * How do I validate against a schema when using JDOM?
    * How can I perform in-memory validation against a DTD or Schema?
    * JDOM ensures the document in memory is always well-formed. Can
      JDOM also ensure the document in memory is always valid?
    * Why do I get an IndexOutOfBoundsException or
      ConcurrentModificationException on looping?
    * Is there an archive for the JDOM mailing lists?
    * How do I unsubscribe from a mailing list?
    * How do I post to the mailing list from multiple addresses?
    * Should I ask general XML questions to Jason and Brett?
    * When does JDOM 1.0 come out?
    * The book "Java and XML" talks about JDOM 1.0; why the confusion?
    * I have a question that isn't answered here. What do I do?
    * How do I submit a bug report?
    * Where can I learn more?