[jdom-interest] Toward beta 9

Philip Nelson panmanphil at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 23:14:49 PDT 2003

Not a good night 8^(

I tried a few different approaches of using subclasses to skip verification.
As a benchmark I used Dennis Sosnoskis tests comparing to the b8, b9 rc1, b9
rc1 + Rolfs Verifier, and b9 + my SAXHandler mods.

The best I did with any of these was to very slightly improve with the
SAXHandler mods on b9.  b9 slightly degraded compared to b8 (jdk1.3 on linux).

Some other surprises, at least to me.  Use of inner classes for node elements
was slower than classes in their own source files.  Using an anonymous inner
class though to subclass DefaultJDOMFactory in SAXHandler was somewhat (~15%)
faster than a direct class.

I had high hopes for the Verifier and if there is some way to skip the
"compile" step, perhaps it would be faster.  I had my suspicions though when
the test suite for the Verifier ran slower with the Rolfs version than the
original did.

So, back to the drawing board and so much for theory once again....