[jdom-interest] XHTML issues

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Aug 13 07:40:14 PDT 2003

At 11:21 PM +0100 7/25/03, Rachel Greenham wrote:

>The other issue I had by the way was that EntityRefs are being
>printed out with surrounding newlines if newlines is true on the
>XMLOutputter. This has the effect that they get surrounded by a
>visible space when displayed in a browser. When you're using
>entities for quote marks, apostrophes, and accented letters (most of
>the time in fact) this is obviously not wanted. However, setting the
>XMLOutputter to not generate newlines makes the source very
>unpleasant and difficult to look at manually (eg: a 30,000 word
>story crushed to 66 logical lines, most of those in a <pre> block,
>for instance).

Hmm, that really sounds like a bug. Entity references should not be
surrounded by newlines even when indenting for the reasons you cite.
Has anyone fixed this yet? If not, I could give it a shot.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu
   Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
   http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA