[jdom-interest] BEA's XMLBeans

Dennis Sosnoski dms at sosnoski.com
Fri Mar 7 09:58:49 PST 2003

XMLBeans is BEA's Grand Unified Model (aka GUM) for dealing with XML.
It's actually a data binding facade over an in-memory parse event
stream. This has some interesting features - you can access the document
using a data binding-like view through objects constructed from a W3C
XML Schema definition, and can also use XPath and XQuery operations to
access it as XML.

The data binding view is likely to be very slow by comparison with other
approaches, though, since it has to retrieve data out of the stream each
time an object is (lazy) created, and has to store data back into the
underlying stream when you modify one of the bound objects. If you're
only working with a relatively small portion of the document this is
still fine, and it'll probably be mainly for that type of application
that XMLBeans is useful.

BEA has declined permission for me to benchmark the code, on the basis
that it's beta. I think they realize they've got performance problems
and plan to eliminate these by tuning before the production release. I
think the problems are architectural.

They've hinted in the past at open sourcing it in the longer term - was
there anything said at the developer conference about this?

  - Dennis