[jdom-interest] Is JDOM dying?

Vadim.Strizhevsky at morganstanley.com Vadim.Strizhevsky at morganstanley.com
Fri Mar 14 08:31:26 PST 2003

I think the problem with this aproach is that if you write out this
document, and then read it back into JDOM, you'll get back a completely
different looking structure. Because on input it would never have the
INHERIT namespace tag. That I think is really problematic and something to
be avoided.

In my opinion, the JDOM tree should not significantly change (whitespace
excluded) if it was written out to a file and then back in. Otherwise you
setting yourself up for all sorts of complications, and possibility of
having code that correctly deals with one of these 2 trees, but not the
other.

I understand perfectly where this view comes from, but unfortunately it
incorrectly reflects the reality (albeit quite confusing) of real
specification of namespaces. I have to agree with Elliotte on this, I
don't think there's a way to support this model without breaking the
simplicity, and worst of all correctness of JDOM namespace behavior.

Regards,
-Vadim