[jdom-interest] Problems with encoding="utf-8"

David Parker dlparker at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 25 09:34:04 PST 2003

I posted this before but I can see that I did not explain the problem clear
enough.

I'm including the XML input document (in.xml) and and the HTML output
document (out.html).
You will need to open in.xml in "Notepad" to be able to see the correct
characters.

The "in.xml" is an XML document that conforms to the "IMS Global Learning
Consortium, Inc. (IMS) ".
The "IMS Question & Test Interoperability Specification" provides proposed
standard XML language for describing questions and tests.

The "mattext" node will have text from such languages as: Russian, Chinese,
Japanese, Arabic, Swahili ... that need the extended ASCII set.
JDOM is converting the "utf-8" encoded characters to ?.

What is the solution to this problem?

.  .  Russian ??????

.  .  .  ?????????
.  .  .  ?????????