[jdom-interest] UTF8 charset issues...

Patrick JUSSEAU patrick at openbase.com
Fri Oct 10 11:08:17 PDT 2003

Alex,

Well I am pretty sure it is not working because if I save my XML
document and then I try to read it back in my java app I get the
following exception:

java.io.UTFDataFormatException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
         at org.apache.xerces.impl.io.UTF8Reader.invalidByte(Unknown
Source)
         at org.apache.xerces.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(Unknown Source)

The scenario to get this exception is:

1 - Create a jdom Document and call element.setText("Æ") to set an
element's text value

2 - Save this Document (ie create a local XML file) test.xml

3 - Read this XML document back which leads to the above exception.

Note: If I use a XML aware tool like oxygen to look at test.xml, the
'Æ' character shows up as '�'
However if I save my document using:
String text = "Æ";
byte[] bytes = text.getBytes("UTF8");
text = new String(bytes);
setText(text);

In that case my document is properly saved and I am able to read it
back in my Java app

I am using Java 1.4.1 on MacOSX

Thanks again

Patrick