[jdom-interest] Serialization issue

mtminner at earthlink.net mtminner at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 22:22:39 PDT 2003

Hello -

I am having a Serialization issue. I am using beta 9. When I try to send a list of Elements retrieved by calling root.getChildren(String) over RMI, I get the following java.rmi.RemoteException:

error unmarshalling return; nested exception is:
        java.io.WriteAbortedException: writing aborted; java.io.NotSerializableException: org.jdom.ContentList$FilterList

I noticed in the TODO.txt that in March of 2002 there was this problem:

http://lists.denveronline.net/lists/jdom-interest/2002-March/009857.html

which generated this response:

http://lists.denveronline.net/lists/jdom-interest/2002-March/009742.html

Having gone through the archives from March 2002 to October 2003, I can find no further mention of this (I did not read all the posts, just the subject lines - so the answer may be there). Can anybody help me with this? Is my problem different than the prior one? When I throw a println statement in just before the return, I verify that I do indeed have the correct Elements in the List. Here is the code I am using:

    public List getRecords(String elementName, String recordType) throws RemoteException {
        List records = new ArrayList();
        String fileName = recordType + ".xml";

        File file = new File(fileName);
        if (file.exists()) {
            try {
                SAXBuilder builder = new SAXBuilder();
                Document doc = builder.build(new java.io.File(fileName));
                Element root = doc.getRootElement();
                records = root.getChildren(elementName);
            }
            catch (JDOMException je) {
                records = new ArrayList();
                String success = "ERROR: JDOMException\nCould not retrieve records\n";
                records.add(success);
            }
            catch (IOException ie) {
                records = new ArrayList();
                String success = "ERROR: IOException\nCould not retrieve records\n";
                records.add(success);
        System.out.println("Hi " + records);
        return records;