[jdom-interest] SAXOutputter

Laurent Bihanic laurent.bihanic at atosorigin.com
Thu Apr 22 09:36:58 PDT 2004

Bradley S. Huffman wrote:
> Well if output is for well-formed only, then do you suggest deprecating
> output(List)? Leaving the 3 core methods
>
>     output(Document)
>     output(Element)
>     outputFragment(Content)

Well, no. I'm suggesting the following 5 methods :
     output(Document)
     output(List)
     output(Element)
     outputFragment(List)
     outputFragment(Content)

output(Document) and output(Element) always output well-formed documents.
output(List) should remain as it is needed to send XML fragments to XSLT
processors, most of which probably expect start/endDocument events to be fired.

outputFragment(List/Content) methods are similar to XMLOutputter's
output(List/Element/Text/CDATA/PI/Comment, Writer) methods : No XML header in
XMLOutputter means no start/endDocument events in SAXOuputter.
The chosen names help warning the user against randomly choosing these methods
simply because if the type of node they want to output.

Laurent