[jdom-interest] fusing xml files

Mike Brenner mikeb at mitre.org
Tue Feb 3 08:16:20 PST 2004

Hi Joachim,

You can find OWL information at several places on the web, including the following.

http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/Primer
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/10/23/iswc.html

OWL format is XML encoding semantic information (a la the "semantic web")
in a form that is logically equivalent to "triples".

Each triple is effectively the subject, verb, and
object of a simple sentence. The subjects and verbs are
usually represented as URIs. The verbs represent
the static relationship between the subject and the verb.

Approximate relationships, probabilistic relationships,
mappings from the literal meaning of semantics to real-world
contexts, multiple context, and partial contexts are not
fully representable in OWL format, but simple relationships are.

Step 1 is not the answer to your original question, rather Steps 1 through 8
together answer that question in one of the two ways I know how to do it.

The other way to do it is to use a complex systems approach,
giving each tag a weight (literally) in a gravitational universe,
and orbit them such that those concepts that are close to each other
tend to converge towards each other. This is a little bit hard
to visualize until you actually see it, and it can help to resolve
the more difficult decisions as to what goes with what.