[jdom-interest] Form Feed character in CDATA section

Dennis Sosnoski dms at sosnoski.com
Thu Feb 26 15:36:33 PST 2004

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>This is completely illegal in both XML 1.0 and 1.1. The formfeed
>character cannot appear in text content in 1.0 and even in 1.1 it
>can't appear in a CDATA section. The problem is that your code is
>trying to create malformed XML. The probolem is not in JDOM.

Can you give me a reference for the restriction that says formfeed can't
appear in a CDATA section in 1.1? The CDATA production says:

  CData   ::=   (Char* - (Char* ']]>' Char*))

And

  Char  ::=   [#x1-#xD7FF] | [#xE000-#xFFFD] | [#x10000-#x10FFFF]

Incidentally, do you know the reason why they decided to include the
control character range as legal in 1.1? Seems like it's going to create
more problems than it solves.

  - Dennis