[jdom-interest] Possible bug in SAXHandler when "namespaces" feature is off

Jason Hunter jhunter at servlets.com
Mon Jan 19 14:03:34 PST 2004

>>> True, it does not comply with XML Namespaces, because "my" is not
>>> explicitly
>>> mapped to a namespace URI in the same file. But I need to parse this
>>> anyway.
>>> So, I turn off the "namespaces" feature.  Works like a charm with
>>> DOM. Why
>>> should JDOM be less flexible?
>>>

>> Because JDOM hits a nice 80/20 point rather than the confusing mess of
>> trying to do everything you find in DOM.
>>

> If JDOM only supports XML+Namespaces (apparently the case) then it
> should say so up front. As it is now, JDOM claims to support XML. I'd
> certainly agree that XML documents which are not Namespaces compliant
> are a small minority, but that shouldn't be an excuse for
> misrepresentation.
>
>  - Dennis

Dennis, I think the most accurate way of saying what JDOM does is this:

JDOM's SAXBuilder does not support parsing namespaced documents or
documents using prefixes unless used with an underlying parser that
understands namespaces.

For a while, before parsers supporting namespaces were common, we did
namespace handling ourselves.  A long time ago we decided that special
code wasn't any longer necessary and it simplified the builder
significantly.