[jdom-interest] Possible bug in SAXHandler when "namespaces" feature is off

Dennis Sosnoski dms at sosnoski.com
Mon Jan 19 12:33:04 PST 2004

Jason Hunter wrote:

>>If JDOM only supports XML+Namespaces (apparently the case) then it
>>should say so up front. As it is now, JDOM claims to support XML. I'd
>>certainly agree that XML documents which are not Namespaces compliant
>>are a small minority, but that shouldn't be an excuse for
>>misrepresentation.
>>
>> - Dennis
>>

>Dennis, I think the most accurate way of saying what JDOM does is this:
>
>JDOM's SAXBuilder does not support parsing namespaced documents or
>documents using prefixes unless used with an underlying parser that
>understands namespaces.
>
>For a while, before parsers supporting namespaces were common, we did
>namespace handling ourselves.  A long time ago we decided that special
>code wasn't any longer necessary and it simplified the builder
>significantly.

Unless the code has changed since beta 9 it looks like the correct
statement is that JDOM *only* supports XML+Namespaces. The setName
method for Element, for instance, treats ':' as an illegal character.
This violates the XML recommendation.

I'm not saying that only supporting XML+Namespaces is a bad design
choice - very few people are using XML-Namespaces these days - but it
should be stated in the project description (at least in the fine print...).

  - Dennis