[jdom-interest] Re: Factories

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Mar 1 06:19:29 PST 2004

At 1:43 PM +0100 3/1/04, phil at triloggroup.com wrote:

This factory is really helping us having good performances (we
currently ship with a custom build of JDOM!), and without this, the
app will run really slower. That the reason why I reactivated the
debate on this 2 weeks ago.

I've seen no evidence that this matters at all. The cost of all
inn-memory manipulation is trivial compared to the cost of input and
output (including parsing and serialization). There's simply no point
to optimizing the speed of object creation and manipulation. It's
certainly not worth doing at the cost of correctness.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu
   Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)