[jdom-interest] XML standard line ending

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Mar 12 03:30:09 PST 2004

At 9:09 AM +0000 3/12/04, Rick Beton wrote:

>That is a matter of opinion not fact; I'm not sure why you consider
>this to be so bad.  The standard Java libraries have taken a
>different position.

Yes, and this has proven by example that this is the wrong way to go.
PrintStream has been a disaster for interoperable network
programming. PrintStream based programs have lots of unexpected bugs
that manifest on only some platforms. I wrote about this extensively
in Java I/O. JDOM should learn from the mistakes in the Java class
library, not repeat them.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu