[jdom-interest] does jdom perform well ?

Philipp Gröschler plasma at pealpjpain.net
Tue Feb 1 02:32:05 PST 2005

biglaughing schrieb:
> Hi,
> It is very easy to manipulate XML using JDOM.But,I have just read a
> document :
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-injava/index.html
>
> that document is written in 2001. I want to know whether JDOM performs
> well.I want to use org.jdom.Document to be my middle-container of XML
> document.I do need performence very much.
>
> any suggestion is welcome :P
>
> waiting for reply

Since that document refers to version 0.7beta, and at present we're at
version 1.0, I wouldn't give much to the performance measures taken in
this comparison. Generally, the versions compared there aren't really up
to date (article is dated Sep 2001).

Having said this, my personal experience during the development process
of JDOM was, that many parts of a program which include XML processing
code, aren't really fast. And I think that's it what most
implementations have in common. I also realized, that much of the
performance issues could be solved by replacing the parser or
transformer through testing which one behaves best. It mostly depends on
what you're doing with your XML. There are many packages out there,
which were designed for a special purpose and high performance.

Maybe you could give us an insight in what you intend to do with your
code, that would help a lot in choosing the right tools.

So long,

Philipp