[jdom-interest] converting Elements to objects

Jason Hunter jhunter at xquery.com
Thu Feb 24 23:44:26 PST 2005

>> The most elegant way I've seen to do this is JATO, but it's not a very
>> active project.
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jato
>> It was written up in JavaWorld in the past.
>
> Anyone know how JATO compares to:
>
> Jakarta's xbeans (also called xmlbeans, which
> create the classes from a schema
> and gives you strong typing?),
>
> or Castor (for those who are too good to have a schema but have xml
> schemas?)
>
> or other famous wrappers?
>
> Do these wrappers work on an in-memory DOM like JDOM builds,
> or do they do SAX events?

JATO lets you map an XML file to a set of Java instances using an XML
file to control how the mapping happens -- and vice versa.  You've got
business objects, you've got XML, just define how to map from one to the
other.

The techs you list are for when you want help defining the Java classes
in the first place.