[jdom-interest] Maximizing Effeciency of XPATH calls

Tatu Saloranta cowtowncoder at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 17:25:16 PDT 2005

--- Paul Libbrecht <paul at activemath.org> wrote:

> I'd be interested to know how much performance one
> can expect of such
> engines... we keep processing XML but end-up storing
> and retrieving
> with Lucene which has real good performances (like
> 1500 queries/second
> with about 7000 items overall of 50Mb on a single
> PC, they are about 20
> typical queries).
>
> XML-databases that I try were way slower (by a
> factor of 10 or 100) but
> I never went till a real index.

Apples and oranges. Lucene (which, btw, is lightning
fast -- I don't think C++ is needed for reasonable
performance, even at that low-level) is awesome for
full text searches, and can also be used to build
parallel 'indexes' against which queries can be done
(ie. do some simple relational-DB-like operations; or
to do simple weighing etc).

RDBMSs and NXD (Native Xml Databases) on the other
hand focus more on normalized aspects of access: RDBMS
using relational algebra, NXDes doing what hierarchic
DBs used to do. They can also do some full text
searches, not to mention some vendors (one that starts
with O specifically) who have built add-ons to do
better text searches.

So I think the real question is what kind of data
storage/retrieval system is best suited to your needs;
although there is overlap, in general each is best
choice for certain kind of usage.

-+ Tatu +-