[jdom-interest] Introduction. JDOM for Java5?

Phil Weighill Smith phil.weighill-smith at volantis.com
Thu Jan 26 12:39:29 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 16:59 -0800, Jason Hunter wrote:
> > What's the status of the work anyway? The last release (1.0) is over a year ago.
>
> People have sent in a few patches that I'll be putting into a new
> release.  Overall though the 1.0 release has been really stable and
> mature and we haven't seen many feature requests or problem submissions.

We've actually moved away from using JDOM for the reason that our
products have to work with various web and app servers. A number of
these servers actually use old (e.g. 0.7) versions of the library which
are not API compatible even against the version (0.9) that we were using
and would have issues simply because they expose the library to embedded
web applications.

The other issue was that we had patched JDOM to support an event
mechanism (based on property listeners) and the API (and implementation)
changed rather a lot between 0.9 and 1.0.

Having said this, JDOM itself isn't a bad library (actually pretty good
other than the issue with an initially unstable API causing the issues
I've described above).

The one point I would make (again) is that all the "node" types should
implement a (placeholder) Node interface to allow the entire API to be
slightly more type safe (removing any Object references).

Phil