[jdom-interest] JDOM with generics

Mattias Jiderhamn mj-lists at expertsystems.se
Mon May 8 02:19:52 PDT 2006

At 2006-05-06 01:40, Jason Hunter wrote:

>>>Yes.  But new tech is always better at supporting old tech than vice versa.
>>Is there any vice versa in this case? You would only use the
>>generics enabled JDOM JAR if you in fact are running JDK 1.5 or newer.
>
>Ever graph the JAR dependency graph of a big project?  It's crazy.  :)
>
>The issue is what happens when your Java 5 program depends on JDOM 5
>but also on a package that depends on JDOM 1.0?  Serious
>question.  You can't assume you can recompile the package because
>it's not yours. Assuming it was compiled against JDK 1.2, can it
>understand the JDOM 5 JAR adequately?

As stated above, you've got the same issue when using the generics
enabled core Collection API (java.util.*) and also a package
depending the Collection API but compiled agains the non generics
(pre JDK 1.5) version.
The only real difference I can think of betweet these two scenarios
is that the Collections API *define* generic classes/interfaces
(List<E>) while JDOM would "instantiate" the generic classes (List<Element>).
Does anybody know if this would affect the binary compatibility?