[jdom-interest] OutOfMemoryError

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon May 8 06:44:20 PDT 2006

Paul Hunnisett wrote:

> The problem is that after only a little interaction with the portlet I
> get an OutOfMemoryError that brings down the whole portal.  I'm
> confident that it's JDOM that causes this as we have several other
> channels which do the same thing with standard DOM and cause no such
> problems.

That may be the case, but you haven't proven it yet. Try inspecting the
application with a memory profiler and find out where the memory is
really going. Also print the stack trace from the error. Until you do
that, all you have is an educated guess at best. These sorts of problems
are rarely what you think they are at first.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu