[jdom-interest] setIndent("") doesn't work as expected

wkrick at eio-online.com wkrick at eio-online.com
Thu Sep 7 11:59:27 PDT 2006

Judging from the comment, it seems like it was an attempt at
optimization that had unintended side effects...

     public Format setIndent(String indent) {
         // if passed the empty string, change it to null, for marginal
         // performance gains later (can compare to null first instead
         // of calling equals())
         if ("".equals(indent)) {
             indent = null;
         }
         this.indent = indent;
         return this;
     }

Without that "optimization" it would be this...

     public Format setIndent(String indent) {
         this.indent = indent;
         return this;
     }

...which does what I expect it to do.

I'll try building my own and see how it goes.

Is there a recommended procedure for submitting a patch?