[jdom-interest] Getting javac to see org.jdom.* in Win

hill0093 at umn.edu hill0093 at umn.edu
Sun Aug 19 12:18:30 PDT 2007

I downloaded jdom-1.0.zip 09-Sep-2004 19:09 3.7M
When I compile Baldwin’s Svg17.java, it cannot find org.jdom package.
My path includes both ;C:\jdom-1.0\build;C:\jdom-1.0\build\jdom.jar
And for java the path has
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\bin
and the path works for javac on the command line.

The readme.txt file in the jdom-1.0 directory says:
The only thing that you have to make sure of is that the "JAVA_HOME"
environment property is set to match the top level directory
containing the JVM you want to use. For example:
C:\set JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk1.2.2
There is already an inconsistency because it says “directory containing the
JVM” but the example points it to the jdk. they are two different things.

So for my case I tried three different settings for JAVA_HOME by the
more permanent method using right click Computer, then
left click properties, advanced, environmental variables:
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02
C:\Program Files\Java
and none of them worked
It gives:
C:\awd\pp\j>javac Svg17.java
Svg17.java:23: package org.jdom does not exist
import org.jdom.*;

I erased everything jdom and downloaded again, unzipped. same result.
Then I ran build.bat and that was successful, but the jdom.jar file
was a slightly different size from the downloaded one and no works.

Please help me understand how to get it to see org.jdom.* (in jdom.jar?)
Are my environmental variables right?
Does Windows Vista make a difference?