[jdom-interest] Custom XML Validation

Kyle Cunningham kcunning at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 21 09:47:51 PDT 2007

Hi -

I'm writing an XMLValidator tool that first parses a file against the
schema (using Xerces) then runs custom xml checks if the build was
successful.  I'm using a SAXBuilder for this and just calling the
build() method to parse the XML document.  The additional checks include
things like making sure the content of required elements is present, etc
(I couldn't find a way to specify this in an XML schema).

My problem is that I am not able to determine the line number a
"problem" element lives at within the xml document when I encounter
something in the additional processing routine.

I tried throwing a SAXParseException and calling the getLineNumber()
method, but the exception seems to have no knowledge of the document.  I
also read some stuff about using a SAXHandler and setting the document
location, but I couldn't really get my head around it enough to
understand how I could use it.  I'm fairly new to JDOM.  Is there any
easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks for your time.

Kyle