[jdom-interest] SVG not honoring equally spaced characters including spaces

hill0093 hill0093 at umn.edu
Sun Aug 26 13:33:08 PDT 2007

SVG doesn’t seem to honor equal spacing in equally spaced
fonts like Courier. For example, the .svg file contains some
adjacent spaces. They get reduced to one space by SVG
viewers. What is the key to making text equally
spaced including space characters?
I have converted to .svg old program output that needs an equally
spaced font in text including embedded and leading
space characters (leading spaces might be more difficult).
How do I do this when SVG seems to do its own thing with
spaces even on monospaced fonts? Some unknown attribute?