[jdom-interest] Document.getContent() only returning the root element, not all xml child content elements as expected

Julius Schorzman juliuss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 19:10:42 PST 2007

Hi all.  I'm a bit flummoxed by an issue with JDom, which I've been using
for about two years now.  It appears that Document.getContent is only
returning the root element of the document, not all of the elements in the
document.  For example, here is some test code:

    private Document d;

    private void parse(){

        //output the xml to make sure it loaded correctly
        XMLOutputter out = new XMLOutputter(Format.getPrettyFormat());
        try {
            out.output(d, System.out);
        } catch (Exception ignored) {}

        //print out the number of elements returned by getContent
        System.out.println( d.getContent( ).size() );

        //set the ID for this document
        for ( Object o : d.getContent( ) ) {

            try {
                System.out.println(((Element)o).getName());
            } catch ( ClassCastException ignored ) { }

The xml document is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<test>
  <a>
    <b>
      <c>
        <d />
      </c>
    </b>
  </a>
  <a>
    <b>
      <c>
        <d />
      </c>
    </b>
  </a>
  <a>
    <b>
      <c>
        <d />
      </c>
    </b>
  </a>
</test>

And the outcome of this is:
[the xml document as shown above]
1
test

So, as you can see, the root element <test> is the one and only element
returned in the list returned by d.getContent( ).  Can anyone explain why
this might be?

Thanks!  Please forgive me if this has been answered previously -- I
searched for quite a while and couldn't find a thread with this issue.