[jdom-interest] JDom and Java5

Rolf Lear jdom at tuis.net
Tue Feb 26 05:38:35 PST 2008

Hi Victor

I have had a look at your suggestion, and I did try to play with similar lines of thought, but they are dead-end paths. Correct me if I am wrong:

Here's your suggestion which I have simplified to get rid of the exception handling.......

public <T> List<T> selectNodes(Object context) {
      currentContext = context;
      return xPath.selectNodes(context);
      currentContext = null;
}

There are a few issues with this that make it impractical as I see it:
1. even if the code were compilable as-is, it would require an explicit cast to work, the return line would actually have to read:
      return (List<T>)xPath.selectNodes(context);
   which introduces 2 problems because firstly, there would be a compile-time warning about unchecked casts, and secondly, there will then be ClassCastExceptions in the client code in the cases where the client's XPath does not match the types represented by <T> (which will happen...!).
2. The generic typing you suggest is incomplete. You specify <T> List<T>, but then do not actually use the typing anywhere. Your method signature, to be useful really requires one of two things, either:
      public <T> List<T> selectNodes(Object context, Class<T> contenttype) {
    and then use explicit contentype.cast(.....) calls inside the method to cause valid compiles as well as trap any ClassCastExceptions inside the API rather than the client.
   or
      public List<T> selectNodes(Object context) {
   where the entire XPath class is a generic typed class <T>. Unfortunately this is very hard to accomplish cleanly because much of the work done in XPath is done through static methods, and, Java reflection is used to create the XPath instances that do the work. Because runtime reflection is used, it is very hard to type the data at compile time.

I don't want to be critical of your suggestion, but, while it is somewhat trivial to consider this problem in isolation, the real complexity of the problem can only be appreciated if you have the full code in front of you and you try it.

There is a good chance there is something I have missed so I would be grateful if you could try to flesh out your idea further in the code - how about a fully functional example ;-)

Thanks again.

Rolf