[jdom-interest] How to find document size

Jasmin_Mehta at nexweb.org Jasmin_Mehta at nexweb.org
Fri Jan 18 05:52:43 PST 2008

I do not want to get any io done while I am creating xml document from one
database and sending it to other after processing it on the fly. This will
be batch process and can have huge amount of records while executing batch
each time.

I need to know the xml document size as it is when it comes out from
Oracle's 'XMLTYPE' datatype. I am appending resultset records one after
another in one xml document until it reaches certain size. For this
purpose I need to know the size of

the algorithm - something like:

1)      ArrayList finalXmlDocumentList = new ArrayList();

2)      org.jdom.Document  accumulatedXmlDoc = new Document();

3)
for (i = 0; i < newXmlDocs.size; i++)
{
        sizeOfDocument =  FIND SIZE OF accumulatedXmlDoc

        if (accumulatedXmlDoc is not sizeOfDocument )
        {
            accumulatedXmlDoc = accumulatedXmlDoc + newXmlDocs[i];   //
here actual jdom api is used to concet 2 xml docs.
        }
        else
        {
            finalXmlDocumentList .add(accumulatedXmlDoc );
            accumulatedXmlDoc  = new  Document();
            accumulatedXmlDoc = accumulatedXmlDoc + newXmlDocs[i]; // here
actual jdom api is used to concet 2 xml docs.

4)      use finalXmlDocumentList  further

I would like to know the size for one-liner format XML. You mentioned
about storeing in byte[], how woule I do that? Would it create performace
issue?

Thanks
Jasmin

frode at fritid.as
01/17/2008 04:20 PM

Jasmin_Mehta at nexweb.org
cc

Subject
Re: [jdom-interest] How to find document size

Hello.

The physical size of the file produced when outputting the document will
vary depending on formatting ;pretty-format
takes more space than a one-liner, and encoding (UTF-8 encoding creates
some double-byte characters).

The filesize will also depend on platform (windows/Linux) because of the
varying representation of CRFL (especially with
pretty-print, since this generates a lot of linefeeds)

The only way to know exactly, is to actually write it to disk ans check
size. A system-independent size can be obtained
by outputting to a byte[] and check for length of this.

You could also create the document with zero, one and two empty elements
(all tags included, but no content) and take
the zero-one + the difference between 1 and 2 times the number of
elements, and on-the-fly calculate the total length of
of each element's content and add it up as you go along. A lot of code,
but if the elements are the same with different
content this should not be an awful lot of work.

Frode

             Jasmin_Mehta at nexweb.org
             Sent by:
             jdom-interest-bounces at jdom.org             To
 <jdom-interest at jdom.org>
                                           cc
             17.01.2008 21:34
                                      Subject
                                                         [jdom-interest]
How to find document size

Hi,

My requirement is to keep populating elements to one xml document object
until it reaches to certain size. Which JDOM
API can help to find the size of create new XML  org.jdom.Document?

Thanks
Jasmin

ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION
Our domain name is changing.  Please take note of the sender's
e-Mail address and make changes to your personal address list,
if needed.  Both domains will continue to work, only for a limited
time.
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or agency to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error please notify the Navy
Exchange Service Command e-mail administrator. This footnote
also confirms that this email message has been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.

Thank You!
http://www.jdom.org/mailman/options/jdom-interest/youraddr@yourhost.com