[jdom-interest] Java 5 planning

Jason Hunter jhunter at servlets.com
Sat Mar 8 02:49:10 PST 2008

Michael Kay wrote:
>> Do we risk new users going with other XML object models if the other
>> projects are Java 5 clean on compiles and we're not?
>
> I'm not actually concerned about whether I have to recompile my code to work
> with a new JDOM.

What I meant by "Java 5 clean on compiles" was that a compile would
output no warning messages.  That is, if other projects jumped the
bridge to Java 5 compatibility then perhaps over time new users would
view those projects as superior because they didn't get a pile of JDK
warnings on each compile.  Warnings scare people.

> What I really do care about, however, is that once I have
> done so, the code should work regardless which version of JDOM my users have
> installed. I don't want 1% of those 100,000 users calling me to say Saxon
> doesn't work with JDOM any more...

Yes, this is the potential problem if we alter the public API, which
seems to be the "value" as well as the "curse" of a Java 5 jump.  It's
why I ponder an org.jdom2 package if we do that, so the piles of
existing code keep working and new code can be written against the new
package.  That's not ideal, but it's practical.  What do you think, Michael?