[jdom-interest] Java 5 planning

Mattias Jiderhamn mj-lists at expertsystems.se
Wed Mar 12 02:03:20 PDT 2008

Jason Hunter wrote (2008-03-08 11:49):
> Michael Kay wrote:
>>> Do we risk new users going with other XML object models if the other
>>> projects are Java 5 clean on compiles and we're not?
>>
>> I'm not actually concerned about whether I have to recompile my code
>> to work with a new JDOM.
>
> What I meant by "Java 5 clean on compiles" was that a compile would
> output no warning messages.  That is, if other projects jumped the
> bridge to Java 5 compatibility then perhaps over time new users would
> view those projects as superior because they didn't get a pile of JDK
> warnings on each compile.  Warnings scare people.
I believe lack of Java 5 support can scare new users off. Not so much
because of the compiler warnings, but because we've had generics for
more than 3 years now. If a user notices the lack of generics support
they may think "Hey, this piece of software probably haven't been
maintained in years, so I better look for something newer that's still
being maintained". (And I believe most people will not bother checking
the mailing list)

 /Mattias