[jdom-interest] Format problem?

Mike Kyle m_t_k_nospam at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 03:34:42 PDT 2008

The following code does NOT produce the UTF-8 that I had expected. As far as I can tell the Text element only seems to work with ASCII text. I would have expected it to work with non-ASCII text. Or am I doing something dumb?

    private void jdomTest() throws IOException
    {
        Element element = new Element("doc");
        element.addContent(new Text("\u4E2D\u6587"));
        Document document = new Document(element);

        StringWriter out = new StringWriter();
        Format f = Format.getPrettyFormat();
        new XMLOutputter(f).output(document, out);
        System.out.println("XML: "+out);