[jdom-interest] malformed URL exception exception in saxbuilder.build due to unreachable URL

Rolf Lear jdom at tuis.net
Fri Feb 10 05:22:30 PST 2012

Hi Cliff.

That would be a mystery, but my suspicion is that it has not worked at
all... if it *did* work then there are other problems ... ;-)

I suspect that everything has been failing - maybe the first record from
the database had an xmlns, and it has been a red-herring for you.

I did run some test code through, and it causes similar errors regardless
of the actual XML content.

I wonder if it would help if we put a validation process in the
SAXBuilder.build(String) method that inspected the string, and if the first
non-white character is '<' it throws an exception.... that should catch all
instances where XML content is supplied to the method, since '<' is never
valid in a URI..... and it is always the first character in any valid XML
document.....

getting an exception:  MalformedURLException: "SAXBuilder.build(String)
expects a String URI not XML Content" would be a whole lot easier to manage
than the exception you have....

Rolf