[jdom-interest] malformed URL exception exception in saxbuilder.build due to unreachable URL

Rolf Lear jdom at tuis.net
Sat Feb 11 14:29:47 PST 2012

I prefer NullPointer for null values too. In some limited places it
makes sense to throw IllegalArgumentException.

My 'habit' in the past (and it is recently changing...) has been to:
- if I actually check for null I throw IllegalArgumentException.
- do not check, and then let Java throw the NPE on de-reference.

Having read some things recently in Effective Java, and also more
carefully implementing core API's like the Collections API, I am now
more inclined to do an explicit null check, and throw NullPointerException.

I think in cases like JDOM where the code is open-source, it is less
critical to validate-for-null in methods because the stack trace on NPE
is easy to follow through on.... If JDOM was closed source, and people
got a NPE, they would be (justifiably) peeved, especially because the
stack trace would be no help for identifying the null reference.

Still the question is whether every parameter should be validated before
use.... in this case, since the actual null de-reference happens deep in
the URI code it sort of makes sense to check... especially if we are
adding a check for an invalid URI...

So, in this case, I think I will do an explicit check-for-null, and
throw NullPointerException... but in a general case the issue is more
'grey'.

I also think, in this case, that the issue of having XML content instead
of a SystemID in build(String) is common enough to do the
pre-validation.... with a better error message. In general though, I
think that people misusing the documented API should not expect
'hand-holding' error messages. GIGO

Rolf